Academic Support Specialist
Adrian College seeks candidates for the position of Academic Support
Specialist for the Academic Services office. Interested individuals
should submit their cover letter and resume to the Director of Academic
Services, Linda Jacobs, at email@example.com by May 15, 2014.
Job Description: The Academic Support Specialist is
responsible for coordinating tutoring services and also providing
academic support, directly and through coordination of services with
other offices, that will assist students in successfully reaching
graduation. Will work with students of low-income, first-generation,
and/or disabled backgrounds.
Classification: Administrative Staff
Education: Master’s degree in Education or Counseling required
Supervision Received: Reports to Director of Academic Services
Supervision Exercised: May supervise student assistants and/or student employees
Work Schedule: Full-time, equivalent to 10 months. Must be willing to work occasional evenings and weekends.
FLSA Classification: Exempt, 50% Federal TRIO Student Support Services Grant-funded
Qualifications: Ability to interact well with diverse
populations. Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Publisher and Excel is
required. Organization and attention to students’ needs are a must. Able
to work independently or in a team environment.
*Applicants from a background similar to those of students served and with TRIO experience are preferred.
Physical Requirements: Within normal bounds of an office environment.
Greek Life Coordinator
The Greek Life Coordinator coordinates administration, staff development, and programming for the Greek residences and other designated living units. This ten-month, full-time, live-in position reports to the Dean for Student Life or designee.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
1. Supervise, train, and evaluate House Managers of assigned living units.
2. Implement educational programming in Greek housing units and other residence halls consistent with the philosophy of residence hall living at Adrian College; assist Student Life staff with system-wide programming efforts.
3. Coordinate and implement campus leadership programming in cooperation with Student Activities and other student life staff members.
4. Provide individual counseling for residents and make referrals as appropriate.
5. Administer Residence Life and College policies and procedures. Participate in the College’s judicial system by addressing policy violations of College policy by area and other residents (includes conducting hearings and advising staff).
6. Be visible and available within assigned Greek houses, Residence Halls and other housing units
7. Serve as information resource for campus services, events, policies, and procedures.
8. Participate in the recruitment, selection, and training of all student Residence Life staff members.
9. Meet regularly with the Dean for Student Life or designee; participate in all Residence Life and Student Life staff meetings.
10. Maintain office hours.
11. Work with Residence Life, Safety, and Plant staff members to insure the safety and security of housing.
12. Work with the Director of Housing and Plant staff members to ensure well-maintained facilities. Inspect residence halls and Greek living units to maintain high environmental and safety standards.
13. With the Director of Housing, coordinate such administrative functions as room assignments, check-in/check-out, room changes, key control, maintenance issues, etc.
14. Serve as Administrator on Duty as part of on-call rotation.
15. Assess needs of individual chapters and coordinating appropriate programming
16. Advise Panhellenic or Interfraternity Council; providing general advising to national fraternities (5) and sororities (4); assisting Panhellenic and IFC in coordinating member recruitment; advising Greek Judicial Affairs Board; overseeing risk management policy implementation; monitoring Greek organization budgets; communicating with national organizations; and compiling/tracking grades and membership statistics.
17. Other duties as assigned by the Dean for Student Life or designee, such as Mail Room Supervision.
This position will also require supervision of Student Employees.
A commitment to the student development philosophy of education and the ability to facilitate a college residence community reflective of this point of view. Beliefs supportive of and compatible with the mission statement and goals of Adrian College.]
Bachelor’s degree, previous residence life experience, and Greek life knowledge
required. Experience with staff supervision, staff selection and development, management, and
programming is critical.
Letters of interest should be submitted to Troy Schmidli at firstname.lastname@example.org by May 19, 2014.