The Athletic Training Program at Adrian College is innovative and unique.
There are very few programs in the country who combine a Bachelor’s Degree and a Master’s Degree to transition their students into the professional world. Adrian is innovative and unique, and will provide students with the most up-to-date technology and facilities to prepare them for success.
5 Year Combined Bachelor’s/Master’s Degree in Exercise Science and Athletic Training
Tina Claiborne, PhD, ATC, CSCS has developed the first Master’s Degree program on the campus of Adrian College. Dr. Claiborne was hired in 2007 to start a new Bachelor’s degree in Athletic Training, however her dedication to the advancement of Adrian College and the profession of athletic training led her to develop a new 5-year Master’s degree program. In just 5 years, athletic training students will earn a Bachelor of Science in Exercise Science and a Master of Science in Athletic Training. Over 70% of Athletic Trainers (ATs) have earned their Master’s Degree or higher. Now, Adrian College’s Athletic Training graduates will join the ranks of these professionals and be able to compete for the best jobs in the field!
Graduate Athletic Training Accreditation Status
In order for students to be eligible to sit for the Board of Certification (BOC) exam and become a certified athletic trainer (AT), they must graduate from a Commission on Accreditation for Athletic Training Education (CAATE) accredited program. When a program is accredited, it means they meet the minimum standards necessary to prepare entry-level professionals.
The athletic training program at Adrian College has been accredited since 2010.
Please contact Dr. Claiborne at email@example.com with any additional questions regarding accreditation status. (Updated November 2013)
The Master’s Degree Program in Athletic Training is committed to the personal and professional growth of individual students. In a supportive, student-centered learning environment, students will be challenged intellectually through advanced coursework, and professional and scholarly experiences. Graduates will achieve success in the allied health profession of athletic training, as well as related fields in health and wellness.
Program Goals and Objectives
- Provide a secure, but intellectually stimulating academic environment so that learning may be enhanced for all students from diverse backgrounds.
- Prepare students for clinical research in kinesiology and the exercise sciences.
- Teach students to be proficient at the clinical and didactic skills necessary to be a successful athletic trainer.
- Exhibit and promote all aspects of professional conduct of students, staff and faculty.
- Prepare students for success on the Board of Certification exam
- Prepare students for careers in athletic training or related fields through an advanced graduate level course of study
What is the advantage of a 5-year Master's program?
Similar to other allied health professions such as physical therapy and occupational therapy, students will stay at Adrian College for only a fifth year and...
- Earn a B.S. in Exercise Science
- Earn an M.S. in Athletic Training
Students will have more time before they have to commit to the major of Athletic Training...
- Choosing a major is a huge undertaking, and often students need a year or two of discovery before committing to a major. With this new curriculum, students will have the opportunity to take some introductory and exploration courses before they decide to commit to the field of Athletic Training.
Having earned an advanced degree, students will have more opportunities upon graduation...
- More earning power – on average $5-7,000.00 more annually
- More job opportunities, 70% of ATs hold a Master’s Degree or higher
- With both a clinical emphasis and a thesis requirement, students will be prepared for a variety of graduate school opportunities
No GREs or Graduate School Applications!
- As long as students are in good standing with regards to the Athletic Training Education Program’s retention criteria, they will be allowed to continue with their graduate work at Adrian College. Our goal is to support our own students who have worked hard and earned the grades to remain at Adrian College as a graduate student.