It’s normal to be nervous for an interview. Some nervousness is good, in fact! It keeps you sharp and alert during the interview.
A staff member in the Office of Career Planning can thoroughly coach you on best interview preparation, behaviors, questions to expect and more. Feel free to contact us to schedule an appointment.
A Few Interview Tips
To get you started, remember these key factors regarding interviewing:
- Review questions that you expect to be asked and prepare answers
- Research the company/organization
- Arrive 10-15 minutes early
- Take several copies of your resume and references
- A firm handshake is a must!
- Be conscious of and avoid nervous habits such as pen clicking and leg bouncing
- Speak clearly and not too fast
- Have questions prepared to ask
- Send a thank you note or email within 2 days
For an interview, you should be in “Corporate Conservative” dress.
The Office of Career Planning coordinates mock interview appointments in which the student is able to practice interviewing skills. This opportunity is for any student who would like to practice their interviewing skills or has an upcoming professional interview. A prior preparatory appointment with the Office of Career Planning is required to review interviewing skills and professional dress. Expect a minimum of two weeks for your mock interview to be coordinated and scheduled.