Adrian College was founded in 1859 by Asa Mahan, a pastor & scholar active in the antislavery and women’s rights movements.
Mahan never separated the head, heart, and hands, and neither do we. Our chaplaincy sponsors many events and activities outside the classroom, but our chaplain teaches, too. Our ministry unites vibrant worship, rigorous study, and action in the world. The Adrian College Chaplain's Office is a leader among the international movement to fight contemporary slavery or "human trafficking."
The chaplaincy at Adrian College is organized around three emphases:
- Student Spiritual Life
- The Health and Wholeness of the Entire College Community
- Intellectual Engagement with a Variety of Religious and Social Questions
Recently, Chaplain Chris Momany was published by The United Methodist Church. Read his insightful article, "Why United Methodist-related schools matter," here.
There are several spiritual life groups on campus, and more are in the process of formation. These groups coordinate their ministries through one student-led Religious Life Council. The RLC plans many activities throughout the year. The member groups are:
- ALPHA (African American Leaders Promoting Higher Achievement)
- Alpha and Omega Women's Bible Study
- Campus Crusade for Christ (Non-denominational Bible study and fellowship)
- Catholic Student Association
- Fellowship of Christian Athletes
- Major Cole (an organization for students considering seminary or some full-time ministry)
- Men's Bible Study
- Praise Team (worship music)
Another group supported by Chaplain Momany is the Not for Sale group. Find out more about the group by clicking the tab to the left of the screen, or by watching the video.
Chaplain Momany In the News
Chaplain Momany has been asked to teach at a continuing education school for pastors this summer. Chaplain Momany, along with Reverend Rudy Rasmus, will present "Breaking Chains, Shattering Bondage." They will be delivering the presentation August 20-22, 2013 in East Lansing, MI at the Michigan Area School for Pastoral Ministry.