Title of Dissertation: Meaning-Making During Small Group, Peer-Led Discussions of Narrative and Informational Texts: A Case Study.
Courses Taught at Adrian College
- TED 204 -- Education Psychology
- TED 320 -- Creative Programs for Young Children
- TED 346 -- Literacy in the Content Area
- TED 399 -- Profesional Internship (ZS)
- TED 401 -- Child Care Administration
- TED 365 -- Teaching of Reading I
- TED 366 -- Teaching of Reading II
- TED 376 -- Teaching Social Studies and Language Arts in the Elementary School
- TED 400 -- Associate Teaching Supervision
- TED 444 -- Associate Teaching Seminar
- ENGL 347 -- Children's Literature
- ENGL 348 -- Adolescent Literature
Editorial Advisory Board
September 2008 -- Present, Reading Horizons
- Morrison, V., Wiedyk, S., & Cornelius, R. (2012). Scaffolds for content literacy. Michigan Reading Journal, 44(3), 8-21.
- Morrison, V., & Okonkowski, S. (2010). Using read-alouds to develop vocabulary: Components of a balanced word diet. Michigan Reading Journal, 42(3), 18-28.
- Morrison, V., & Wlodarczyk, L. (2009). Revisiting read aloud: Instructional strategies that encourage students' engagement with texts. The Reading Teacher, 63(2), 110-118.
- Personal Prospectives and students' writing pieces are featured in Cramer, L. R. (2004). The Language Arts: A balanced approach to teaching reading, writing, listening, talking, and thinking. New York: Pearson.
- Making the Connection: Literacy in support of science. Michigan Reading Conference, Grand Rapids, MI., March 8, 2013.
- SMARTTIS: Strategies Modeling and Reading Together Through Integrating Science. NWO Symposium 2012, BGSU, OH., October 27, 2012.
- Interconnected Knowledge Links: Science and Literacy. Brown Bag Presentation at Adrian College, April 20, 2012.
- Scaffolds for Content Literacy. Michigan Reading Conference, Grand Rapids, MI., March 10, 2012.
- Cross-curricular integration: Developing comprehension strategies during science instruction. Michigan Reading Conference, Grand Rapids, MI., March 13, 2011.
- Community volunteers as reading tutors. Michigan Reading Conference, Detroit, MI., March 21, 2010.
- Promoting an appetite for vocabulary: Using research to inform instructional practice. Michigan Reading Conference, Grand Rapids, MI., March 16, 2009.
- Making Meaning: Teaching students how to make connections to enhance their understanding of texts. Michigan Reading Conference, Detroit, MI., March 15, 2008.
- Meaning-making during small group, peer-led discussions of narrative and informational texts: A case study. National Reading Conference, Miami, Florida, November 30, 2005.
- Teaching writing in the lower elementary grades. Michigan Reading Conference, Detroit, MI., March 22, 2004.
Co-researcher with Dr. Andrea R. Milner on SMARTTIS Project with the Adrian Public Schools and Adrian College (2010-2015).
Areas of Interest
Emerging literacy, cross-curricular integration, instructional approaches for diverse learners, social constructivist approaches to teaching, ways students make meaning of various types of text and research-based best practices in teacher education.
- Academic Planning (Chair)
- Academic Status and Review
- Collegium III (Secretary)
- Library Advisory Committee
- Writing Across the Curriculum
- Ribbons of Excellence in Co-Curriculars (Chair)
- IB Committee -- Partnership with Adrian Public Schools
- MDE Trainee and Reviewer for Elementary Programs
- TEAC -- National Accreditation Committee
- Professional Learning Community -- Lincoln Elementary School